Thursday, November 01, 2007

Reader survey: She's Always a Woman

Up here at the office, we've become huge Billy Joel fans. We've all been listening to a lot of the Piano Man lately.

Sweet Ann was talking about one of the most beautiful love songs of all time -- "She's Always a Woman."

I think Sweet Ann's losing her Marble King marbles.

That is NOT a beautiful love song. Clearly, this guy is in love with a torturous woman. This song is about how she's a master of inflicting pain on this man who loves her, and no matter what anybody thinks about her, she's a woman, and she's his woman.

So, readers ... it's up to a vote.

Is "She's Always a Woman" a beautiful love ode, or is it a tragic, sad song about the woman you love that's eating your soul?

8 comments:

Ann Ali said...

It's Sweet. It's beautiful. A tad melancholy, but in a pretty way. It showcases woman's many complexities and puts them on a pedestool. He loves every inch of her, even though some of those inches are crazy.
Vote for me and all of your wildest dreams will come true.

Jacque Jo said...

I can agree that it's beautiful in the sense of no matter what, he loves her, but holy crap, she's SUCKING HIS WILL TO LIVE!!

Jim Thomsen said...

It's the enabler's theme song. It's the "yes, she cheats on me and makes me crazy and lies to me and cares little about my feelings, but dammit, I can't let go because I'm emotionally immature and unable to stand up on my own."

I think we all just distracted from the words by the lilting, soft melody.

This song was about Billy Joel's first wife, and it was a marriage that ended in bitter, drawn-out divorce.

Jacque Jo said...

See, Ann!! She's a torturous tramp!!

some asian guy said...

sweet ann, i totally buy into the showcasing of the complexities of women, which obviously includes the inspiration for this song.

and i don't mind being carelessly cut -- accidents happen.

it's the laughing while i'm bleeding instead of apologizing and daubing some neosporin on said cut that makes me suspicious.

it's an ode to women in general and a toxic woman in particular. so my vote is split, which gives you two bubkes. sorry.

Jacque Jo said...

... dammit, man!! :)

But excellent points, P.

Anonymous said...

Read the lyrics folks! Every verse until the last line is about her relationship with someone in the 'second person' - [you]- and each verse ends with her relationship to the guy singing the song in the 'first person' -[me]. In other words - "Hey man, she might be screwing with YOUR head, but she's always a woman to ME. DUH!!!

Jacque Jo said...

I don't think it's as easy as "DUH."

Seriously. I see what you're saying, and I do agree with it, but I don't think "you" is a one-person thing. I think he's singing in a more universal "you" in the way of, "Yeah, everybody, she's absolutely sucking my will to live, but I love her, so no matter what you think, she's perfect in my eyes."